A substantial proportion of the international movement of goods takes place by sea and their transport is made complex by regulations, a chain of contractual relationships and the multi-jurisdictional aspects of the shipping trade.
We represent our clients in the full range of issues arising in this sector and often undertake private client work on behalf of our shipowner clients. We are specialized in advising on:
- International trade
- Contracts relating to the transport of goods by sea, including bills of lading, charter parties and contracts of affreightment
- Litigation and arbitration (primarily under the LMAA rules) arising from charter party and cargo disputes, vessel and asset arrests, insurance disputes
- Sale and purchase of vessels
- Shipbuilding contracts
- Financing of vessel acquisitions and shipbuilding
- Vessel ownership structures including the establishment of offshore companies, tax efficiency planning, registration.